Are you looking for the opportunity to work at a fast-paced office that helps people with their home-finances? The Mortgage Centre (CRS Inc.) has been rated as one of the best brokerage houses in Canada and the local area. This established family business has a long history of serving a diversity of people.
Our strength is our knowledge and expertise. We’re interested in helping people while growing a sustainable and profitable business.
The three key functions of this role:
- Find solutions to customer needs
- Maximize funding ratios
- Build relationships with lenders
The Mortgage Underwriter position exists to provide support to Mortgage Agents and the Principal Broker. This includes underwriting mortgage applications, getting mortgages approved by lenders, working with clients to finalize conditions, signing mortgage commitments with clients and satisfying conditions with lenders to ensure a smooth closing. The role provides assistance for vacation coverage and sick days, including client consultations, customer service requests and compliance of files.
1) Underwriting to get approvals
- Maximize our funding ratio
- Underwrite deals based on mortgage agent hand off notes (The 5 Cs) and bring ratios in line
- Research lender products and requirements
- Assess client needs and successfully acquire a loan product offer to satisfy the customer
- Submit client applications and collect approvals and pre-approval commitments from lenders
2) Client File Management
- Have knowledge of documentation requirements based on client and/or deal type and communicate to the client what is required
- Educate clients on mortgage lending and documentation process
- Prepare documentation for clients to sign, in accordance to FSCO regulation if required
- Meet with clients to sign up mortgage commitment/offer and other FSCO compliance documentation
- Ensure mortgage funds
- Audit files for FSCO compliance
- Back up duties: meet clients to determine mortgage requirements and suitability
3) Client Support
- Find solutions to client mortgage needs and financial goals
- Help clients with their questions and concerns
- Host client appointments for document review and sign-ups
4) Administrative duties
- Update client files for: mortgage accuracy, documentation record keeping, workflow processes, and reporting accuracy
As the Mortgage Underwriter you must be able to greet clients in a professional and polite manner on the phone or in person, exceeding company standards in customer service.
You must be a team player to be successful in this role.
You must be proficient in working on computers and use of financial calculators. You should have knowledge of Salesforce software and Microsoft Office Suite software.
You should have working knowledge of financial services.
You must have practical, technical, and theoretical knowledge about the financial services industry acquired through a combination of education, training, and experience. You must have excellent mathematical skills. You must possess your mortgage agent’s license and be registered under The Mortgage Brokers Act or willing to obtain this license for this position.
You must be able manage multiple files and prioritize effectively. You must have excellent interpersonal skills, influential skills, and oral and written communication skills required to be effective in the position. You must always be ready and willing to help both internal staff and external clients and business partners with a positive attitude and problem-solving skills.
Salary range: $42,000 to $60,000 dependent on experience
This is a one year maternity leave contract with the opportunity for full-time employment with benefits after the contract is completed.
If this sounds like something you’d like to be a part of or you know someone who would fit this role, please forward your resume to or call:
Amy Vanholst, Operations Manager
519-763-3900 ext. 1403