Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) Guidelines
Source: Mortgage Brokering in Ontario, Broker Edition, J. White
Complementary Real Estate Services Inc. complies with the following ten principles as set forth under the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA):
- Accountability: An organization is responsible for personal information under its control and shall designate an individual or individuals who are accountable for the organization’s compliance with the following principles.
- Identifying Purposes: The purposes for which personal information is collected shall be identified by the organization at or before the time the information is collected.
- Consent: The knowledge and consent of the individual are required for the collection, use or disclosure of personal information, except where inappropriate.
- Limiting Collection: The collection of personal information shall be limited to that which is necessary for the purposes identified by the organization. Information shall be collected by fair and lawful means.
- Limiting Use, Disclosure, and Retention: Personal information shall not be used or disclosed for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual or as required by law. Personal information shall be retained only as long as necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes.
- Accuracy: Personal information shall be as accurate, complete, and up-to-date as is
necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used.
- Safeguards: Security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information shall protect personal information.
- Openness: An organization shall make readily available to individuals specific information about its policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
- Individual Access: Upon request, an individual shall be informed of the existence, use and disclosure of his or her personal information and shall be given access to that information. An individual shall be able to challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information and have it amended as appropriate.
- Challenging Compliance: An individual shall be able to address a challenge concerning compliance with the above principles to the designated individual or individuals accountable for the organization’s compliance.
Your privacy is important to Complementary Real Estate Services Inc. (referred to as “we” or “us” in this policy). The purpose of this policy is to tell you what personal information we collect about you, how we use it, whether we disclose it to anybody else, how long we keep it, and how you can request access to your personal information or obtain more information about Complementary Real Estate Services Inc.’s privacy policies.
Personal Information: Personal information means any information about you except your name, business title, business address, business e-mail address, business telephone number or business facsimile number. It also does not include your home address and telephone number if these are published in a telephone or other directory.
We are responsible for the personal information under our control and we have designated Sandra Lastovic to be responsible for our compliance with this policy and with privacy legislation. If you wish to contact Sandra you can do one of the following
- By telephone – 519-763-3900
- By e-mail – firstname.lastname@example.org
- By mail – 125 Norfolk St, Guelph, ON N1H 4J7
What Personal Information do we collect?
In order to arrange your mortgage, The Mortgage Centre will have collected some or all of the following personal information from you:
- Your name, address and telephone number
- E-mail address and facsimile number
- Your occupation
- Similar information about other members of your family
- Your language preference
- Your date of birth and/or the date of birth of other members of your family
- Your social insurance number and/or the social insurance number of other members of
- Financial and credit information about you and/or other members of your family (specific information is set out in the application for credit forms)
- The principle amount of your loan, interest and repayment schedule
- Health information if you are applying for life, health, disability or accident insurance
- The amount of any life, health, disability or accident insurance and details of that
- Provision of your Social Insurance Number is optional. However, you should be aware
that most Credit Reporting Agencies use the Social Insurance Number as a unique
identifier to ensure proper identification when conducting credit reviews and preparing
credit reports. If you do not wish to provide your Social Insurance Number, our ability to
obtain a timely and accurate credit report may be affected.
The security of your personal information is important to us
We use your personal information only for the purposes identified below and access to your personal information is limited to those employees of The Mortgage Centre who need to have access to it.
How do we use your personal information?
Your personal information may be used by us to provide products and services to you such as: to obtain a credit report if you are financing your purchase and to provide you with updates and information regarding products and services that we have to offer and which we think will be of interest to you.
Sometimes we have to share your personal information with others:
We do not sell your personal information to third parties. We may share some or all of your information with third parties such as credit reporting agencies, financial institutions or financing companies, your legal representative and Mortgage Protection Plan. We may also disclose your personal information where we are required or permitted by law to do so.
How long do we keep your personal information?
We retain your personal information as long as necessary to fulfill the purpose. If the information relates to the service we provide, we retain the personal information for as long as is reasonably necessary to address any issues arising from the service or as may be required by law. If there are legal requirements relating to the period of time which we must retain your personal information, we comply with those requirements.
What can you do if you want to limit the use to which we put your personal information?
Most of the personal information that we collect is necessary for use in arranging mortgage financing and we cannot do this without that personal information. Similarly, we must disclose your personal information as described above in order to arrange mortgage financing. If you do not want us to use or disclose your personal information in a particular way, please contact Sandra as described above and we will be pleased to discuss with you how we can limit collection, use or disclosure of your personal information.